Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Monster Dash 5k


Saw lots of Halloween costumes at the recent Monster Dash 5k in Louisville.
The 2nd year event drew another large crowd, with most of the runners showing up about 30 minutes before race time. One unique aspect of the Monster Dash is that the kids run is after the 5k.

I wasn’t planning on running, however the sunshine combined with cool temps offered a nice change of pace to a scheduled speed workout. This is one race that I work from the event director perspective. I volunteer for the event owner Craig Mintzlaff who is owner of Endurance Sports Marketing. Timing was provided by RedLine Running Company.



An uphill first mile thinned the pack out nicely. I settled in easily to a 7:20 pace. Once I made the right hand turn on to the sidewalk, I decided to gas up a little and cut mile two in 7:00 minutes flat. Knowing that I had a full mile of downhill to the finish, I cut loose on the last mile for a split of 6:14-giving me an overall time of 20:23. Good enough to win my age group, but far off of the winning time of Brice Cleland at 15:19. Still, it was a good run for me especially since I lost my hat after mile 2 and had to run back and pick it up!

Overall, I felt good to get out and run for speed after a long 10 mile run the day before.



I plan to race the Longmont Turkey Trot before closing the books on the 2011 season.

No comments:

Post a Comment